In the area of the northern Vosges
many parts of the original frontline of the war can be found
in their original state. An example is the former front at
the Chapelotte. This area has been strewn with remains of
the First World War, complete with French and German
trenches sometimes not more than a distance of thirty meters
from each other.
To the other side of the valley of the Plaine lies the rests
of the Schlangenburg, one of the greater German stronghold.
In Mutzig can be found the very large fortress called Feste
[Fortress] Kaiser Wilhelm II which was build before the
Great War to withstand a breakthrough to Straszburg by
possible attack of the French Army.
The Violu Nord and the
Bernardstein show a multiple of quiet witnesses of the Great
War in the Vosges like the remains of trenches, shell holes,
barbed wire, fortifications and block houses. This is also
the only place in France where the frontline of the Great
War crossed the old German borderline from 1871, what is still visible
by the border stones from that time.
photos of this slideshow were made during a trip with
the Western Front Association Nederland in 2006. ▬
Photos Hans de Regt